2013 World Police & Fire Games has developed an integrated transport plan to ensure that competitors and family and friends can travel easily to venues and throughout the Greater Belfast area.
COMPETITOR TRANSPORT TO SPORTS VENUES
Transport passes will be available as outlined below for travel to all venues utilising the public transport network or Games specific transport where appropriate. Please note the the transport passses will not cover transport from the airports.
Transport passes will be issued as part of the registration and accreditation process.
Transport information, directions and maps to individual sports venues are available to view and download from the sports pages.
Translink, the local public service transport provider, has agreed that all registered 2013 World Police & Fire Games competitors will be issued with a transport pass. Competitors will be issued with a pass when they receive their official accreditation for the Games at the Waterfront Hall in Belfast. There is no additional cost to competitors for the transport pass.
The transport pass will be valid for 10 days continuous use, valid from the first day of use. To use the transport pass competitors must produce the pass along with their 2013 WPFG accreditation pass.
The majority of the sporting venues will be serviced by the public transport system. For those venues outside the public transport network additional bespoke transport will be provided for competitors – please visit the individual sports pages for directions and maps.
The transport pass entitles all competitors to use the following transport services:
- All public transport services (trains & buses) to venues within Zones 1 & 2, and access to the network within these zones for general travel
- Bespoke transport (coaches) to 11 outlying venues, operating from Belfast City Centre
A detailed map of routes and locations can be downloaded here.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY PASSES
A similar transport pass is available for friends and family. Registered competitors can purchase friends and family passes as part of the registration process through thewebsite. Passes are $50 for adults and $20 for children under 16 years.
Transport passes can also be purchased by registered competitors during registration and accreditation at the Waterfront Hall.
The same conditions will apply to the friends and family passes as apply to the competitor transport pass. In addition, the friends and family pass will also give priority access to the Opening & Closing Ceremonies and the Athletes’ Village.
Zones 1 & 2 of the public transport network provide coverage to 32 of the 42 venues, with a stop no more than a 10 minute (half a mile) walk to the venue. For venues that are more than a 10 minute walk from a public transport stop, a shuttle service will be provided.
Our official transport partner, Translink, has developed an App ‘Translink NI‘ to help plan your trips to the sporting venues and tourist attractions. Download the App from the App Store or Google Play.
ZONES 1 & 2 AREA
- Metro buses: All metro services in Belfast
- NI Railways: NI Railways services between Belfast and Bangor, Carrickfergus, Downshire, Antrim, Lisburn and all stops in between
- Ulsterbus: Ulsterbus services within the following towns and to/from Belfast and the following towns: Bangor, Antrim, Carrickfergus, Lisburn, Hillsborough, Crumlin, Glenavy, Ballyclare, Templepatrick, Ballynahinch, Ballygowan, Newtownards, Comber, Saintfield
For more information please visit www.translink.co.uk or call 00 44 (0)28 90 66 66 30
BESPOKE TRANSPORT (COACHES)
For transport to venues outside the public transport network, 2013 WPFG specific coaches will be provided. These will operate from a central location in Belfast City Centre – details of each coach service will be available soon on the individual sports pages.
CONDITIONS OF USE OF PUBLIC TRANSPORT
The following conditions will apply to transport passes:
- Transport passes are valid for 10 days continuous use, valid from the first day of use
- Transportation passes are not transferable
- Transport passes must be shown on boarding transport, together with a valid 2013 WPFG accreditation pass:
- Photographic accreditation pass for competitors
- Family and friends pass (no photograph)
TRAVEL TO THE OPENING CEREMONY